Yes, it's the most wonderful time of the year...! We're here to help you make it through this festive season without derailing your healthy eating habits and yet still enjoy the gatherings and the food! Here are some of our tips for this time of year:
- Don't arrive at the party starving: eat before going to the party - maybe not a full meal but at least a healthy, balanced snack or hearty salad.
- Bring with you to the party: veggies and fruit (see Sweet Endings below for fruit ideas). Yes, bring those fresh crudite and dip appetizers, veggie side dishes, a colorful tossed green salad with avocado and pomegranate, or fresh tomato bruschetta on crispy bread or pita. And then fill your plate with more of these then the other party foods.
- Avoid the cheese, chips, fried hors d'oeuvres: Unsalted nuts, or an assortment of good olives are a great accompaniment to any party.
- Sweet endings: Dark chocolate covered nuts and dried fruit, or chocolate covered strawberries also make an excellent choice for dessert. Bring a fresh fruit trifle, ambrosia salad, poached pears, baked apples, or fresh fruit with caramel or chocolate dipping sauce. Delish.
- Cocktails: please enjoy (if you're not driving), but drink a water spacer or seltzer in between each glass of wine or cocktail.
- Remember to stay active to help burn off any extra calories consumed between now and New Year's and to help manage stress during this time of year.